II always have seen a recipe as just a suggestion rather than a rule! Just like with arts & crafts I am unable to look at a recipe without immediately planning on how I can put my own twist on it!
I use to make these for parties but haven’t made them in years. My niece expressed a desire for stuffed mushroom for our family Christmas Eve party so I dusted off the recipe and whipped up a batch. I had some cream of chicken soup leftover from a green bean casserole and much stuffing was a little dry so I added a little. They were such a hit that they were requested for our New Year’s Eve party!
This time I added more soup and added cheese & onions to the top. Again a smash hit!
I’d love to share with you my handcrafted mushrooms, but since I can’t I’ll give you the recipe and let you try it on your own.
Enjoy! And happy food crafting!
- Fresh Whole Mushrooms, 1 Pound
- 1 T Fresh Minced Garlic
- 3 Tsp. Shredded Italian Cheese
- Additional Shredded Italian Cheese For Topping
- 2 T Melted Butter
- 1 Cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
- 1 Tsp. Each Garlic And Onion Powder
- ½ Can Of Cream Of Chicken Or Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- 6 T Olive Oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour olive oil in a shallow glass baking dish.
- Wash and dry mushrooms.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and dice stems finely.
- Melt butter in a medium glass bowl in the microwave.
- Add diced mushrooms to melted butter.
- Add seasonings to the bowl and mix well.
- Add 3 tsp. of Italian Cheese, ½ can of the soup, and 1 cup of seasoned bread crumbs to bowl. Stir well to moisten bread crumbs.
- Take a little more than a bouncy ball amount of the stuffing and form into a ball.
- Press gently into mushroom cap and press down well. The stuffing should be mounded up a little.
- Place in the baking dish.
- Add shredded cheese to the top of the mushrooms.
- Bake in oven for 22 minutes.
- Remove and check for doneness. If the mushrooms aren’t done put them back in the oven for 2 or 3 minutes.
- You can also make these with plain breadcrumbs.
- Add any other seasonings you like to the stuffing – rosemary, basil, parsley, etc.
- Top with crumbled French’s Fried Onions.
- If you have extra stuffing left over, and I do, place it in a small baking dish, top with cheese and bake with the mushrooms. My son and I like to use the stuffing as a chip dip. It is excellent!