Mother’s Day Crafts: Mini Button Flowers in a Mini Clay Pot & Button Words
Mother’s Day is right around the corner and if you are a teacher (Sunday School or grade school) it’s time to start thinking about what craft the children will do for that special woman in thier lives – mother or grandmother.
Here are two simple crafts suitable for pre-school and the lower elementary grades.
Mini Button Flowers in a Mini Clay Pot
I used muted colors on this project but you can use any color scheme you desire to make this project a little extra special I used vintage lace and buttons. You could even ask your students to bring in a small piece of trim and buttons that belonged to their grandmother.
- Mini clay pat
- Bamboo skewers or other thin wood stick
- Green trim for leaves (rick-rack, lace, ribbon)
- Mini silk flowers
- Small foam letters
- Paint clay pot. Paint rim a contrasting color. Allow to dry then varnish.
- Paint foam letters with the color used on rim.
- Glue trim on rim. Glue buttons evenly spaced around rim.
- Glue “Mom” on pot.
- Paint skewers (or sticks from bottle rockets) green.
- Remove flower heads from the stems. Discard plastic center.
- Glue flower heads on a small circle of cardstock that is the same color as the flower head.
- Glue buttons in the center of the flower.
- After it is dry glue it to the green “stem” for leaves.
- Once dry tie on small pieces of green trim Insert a fall of moss into pot.
- Plant the “flowers” in the pot.
The second project is very simple. You can use pre-painted wooden words or let the children paint unfinished ones. Again, any color scheme can be used.
- Wooden “word” (Friends, Love, Laugh, etc.)
- Paint the “word” if needed and allow to dry.
- Glue the buttons on the “word” arranging buttons in a pleasing pattern.
Thank you for reading my post. I hope you enjoyed the tutorial. If you have any questions or something is not clear, please let me know so that I can improve the tutorial.
Please take a moment to leave a comment and rate this post.
Melba a.k.a. buggalcrafts