Cookie Cutters: Not Just For Cookies Anymore! Post # 8: Paper Bag Backed Foam Cookie Cutter Shape Christmas Ornament
This is a simple ornament to make – a great craft for kids! It’s easy and fun to do!
If you have very thin craft foam such as that purchased at Dollar Tree and Dollar General or in inexpensive craft kits at Target and other department stores this is the perfect craft for using it. What I really like about this very thin craft foam is that you can punch it with your shaped punches! So be sure to stock up and punch, punch, punch!
- Craft foam, tan and assorted colors
- Cardboard or cardstock
- Brown paper or a paper bag
- Embellishments & trims
- Foam Glue
- Cotton swab or paint brush
- Pinking shears
- Cookie cutter
I had all the materials on-hand so this was a FREE craft for me.
- Assemble materials. Select a simply shaped cookie cutter.
- First trace a cookie cutter shape from tan craft foam and cut it out.
- Next glue it to a piece of stiff cardboard or cardstock.
- Allow to dry and then trim the edges closely to the edges of the foam or use decorative scissors and leave a decorative edging.
- Cut a hanger from the trim for the ornament.
- Next glue the reinforced foam shape to a brown paper bag or brown paper sandwiching the hanger between the layers. Allow to dry.
- When dry trim the edges with pinking shears leaving about a ¼ to ½ inch decorative edge.
- Trace the inside of the cutter on white craft foam for an “icing” effect or use colored foam if another effect is desired. Cut out the “icing” shape a little to the inside of the inner edge of the traced line. Trim it as needed to be about ½ inch smaller than the “cookie”.
- Glue to top of the foam “cookie”. Allow to dry.
- Then decorate with embellishments such as foam punches, buttons, trims, mini cookie cutters, etc.
- Allow to dry and then your ornament is ready to hang.
Tips For Punching Shapes From Foam
- The only craft foam I have found that you can punch shapes from with a regular craft punch is the type sold at Dollar Tree and Dollar General and in inexpensive kits and foam shapes found at a department store like Target.
- To punch simply turn your punch upside down and slip foam into the punch. This lets you see that the shape is complete filled with foam. If it catches and won’t thread all the way to the bottom of the punch slide the punch around the piece of foam until you can work it to the bottom of the punch.
- If the foam fits inside the punch but the punch itself comes out raggedy, then the foam is actually too thin. Back it with a piece of plain paper and the fit both inside the punch and punch. Your foam punch should come out nicely. But note that your paper punch will be ragged.
- A regular hole punch and the pincher type punches like it will punch “holes” from the thicker craft foam. Use these punches to make lights for a Christmas tree ornament, holly “berries”, coal to make a snowman, and much more!
I have just listed a ladybug cookie cutter (link below) on Listia – a site where you win free stuff! See the “About Us” below for more information on the site.
What is Listia?
Listia is a new kind of online auction site where you bid on other people’s stuff using credits instead of real money. We make it easy for you to give away stuff you don’t need anymore and get stuff you want in return for free. If you enjoy giving and getting items for free, then you’ll love Listia!
For a limited time, every new user gets 500 free promotional credits just for signing up and listing an item. The more popular your listing is, the more credits your auction will go for. You can then use those credits to bid for things you want. The highest bid wins the item, so each thing goes to the person who wants it most! Getting more credits is easy, fun and most importantly, costs nothing!
Who We Are
Listia Inc. was founded in the Spring of 2009. We are a Y Combinator-funded startup in Silicon Valley and launched in August of that same year. Since then, we have been steadily growing and adding exciting new features. Our goal is to create the largest online marketplace for people to give and get free stuff. We hope you find it both useful and fun!